Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join
Community Search
Diversity
Share |

 

Diversity

 

Eve Sweeting, MBA, SHRM-CP, PHR
Director, Diversity

941.743.1259 |  eve.sweeting@hrflorida.org

The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) has defined diversity as “the collective mixture of differences and similarities that includes for example, individual and organizational characteristics, values, beliefs, experiences, backgrounds, preferences, and behaviors.” Diversity has expanded into the concept of inclusion. SHRM defines inclusion as “the achievement of a work environment in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to the organization’s success.”

Diversity and Inclusion (D and I) has evolved from a task focused on workforce classification and reporting to a leadership strategy that is an integral part of an organization’s strategic plan. At SHRM, Diversity Management is “the comprehensive organizational and managerial process for leveraging diversity and achieving inclusion that maximizes the potential of all employees.”

Autism in the Workplace

HR Florida is working with our local Chapters and the Centers for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD) to increase awareness and understanding of autism and how employers can best incorporate employees with autism. There are seven regional CARD sites throughout Florida. CARD's purpose is “to enhance the lives of individuals we serve by helping them become valued members of their communities. CARD offers free supports within the natural contexts of all settings including homes, child care programs, schools, work, and community businesses and programs.” To learn more about autism in the workplace and connect with your local CARD office, click here.

·        More than 3.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder.

·        Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability.

·        35 percent of young adults (ages 19-23) with autism have not had a job or received postgraduate education after leaving high school. (Which means that 65% have!!)

·        Only 16.8 percent of the population with disabilities was employed in June 2014.

SHRM Articles on Autism

Autism Hiring Guide        

Companies See High Return on Workers with Autism

Employing Persons with Cognitive Disabilities

How to Attract and Support Neurodiverse Talent

People with Autism Represent “Untapped Reservoir of Talent”

 

Stigma Free Florida

Stigma Free Florida is a partnership between HR Florida and the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Florida aimed at reducing the stigma of mental illness in the workplace. The mission of Stigma Free Florida is to change attitudes within workplaces regarding mental health and individuals with mental illness. By signing the Stigma Free Florida Pledge, business leaders will work with NAMI Florida and its affiliates to increase knowledge and expertise around employee mental health. The Stigma Free Florida toolkit includes a factsheet on mental health in the workplace, tips for employees and managers, a sample CEO memo to employees about being stigma-free, and the Stigma Free Pledge.

HR Florida encourages HR Professionals around the state to take the Stigma Free Florida pledge to their leadership team and sign on to be stigma-free. Click here for the Stigma Free Florida Toolkit and Pledge

Hot Diversity and Inclusion Topics for 2018

  • Equal Access/Equal Opportunity - Compliance, Regulation, Legislative affairs
  • Inclusive work environments for employees with disabilities
  • Cognitive diversity/diversity of thought
  • Implicit Bias and Decision-making 
  • Impact of politics and immigration issues
  • Gender parity and workplace harassment prevention
  • Breaking down of Generational stereotypes

SHRM Resources

  • Diversity articles can be found in the HR Topics & Strategy section of the SHRM website www.shrm.org
  • The SHRM website has a SHRM chapter Volunteer Resource Center in its Communities section
  • SHRM presents an annual Diversity & Inclusion Conference & Exposition Click HERE to learn more!

more Latest News

10/1/2017Press Releases

more Calendar

1/4/2019
January 2019 Council Meeting

1/4/2019 » 1/5/2019
2019 Leadership Conference - Attendee Registration

Chapters

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal